Old 21-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Glenna Rose

Default horse compose

writes:
Hi,
I'm starting my garden and my neighbors have horses.

Does horse manure make a good compost for the garden?
Are there any special steps I should take before using it?
Is it possible to use too much? I have really bad soil where almost
nothing grows.

What I've used in the past was well composted before I got it so I didn't
have problems with weeds, etc., but did get *lots* of earthworms! That
was absolutely 1-A.

Today, I received some good advice from someone who knows. With
reasonably fresh manure, put it in the chicken pen area, let the chickens
pick out all the seeds, worms, etc., then put it in the compost bin/area,
then to the garden in the spring/whenever. That way, there are no weeds
coming with it.

Bovine manure shouldn't have that problem since the grass/hay goes through
a more involved digestive process.

Glenna