Old 21-05-2004, 02:16 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Hawk's beard

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
This seems to have taken over two of my borders.

What's the best way of getting rid of it? Do I need to dig up

the
whole
root?

I'm knackered already and I've barely done a small patch of

it!

What is Hawk's beard?

Crepis.

A genus of dandelion look-alikes.

Thanks, Kay. The popular name does not occur in any of my six

books
on wild flowers. It is a strongly localised name?

I don't think so. It's in Fitter, Fitter and Blamey, also in Stace,
which is the standard flora for the British Isles.

If you are interested in wild flowers enough to have 6 books, then

I'd
very much recommend wild Flowers of Britain and Northern Europe,

Fitter,
Fitter and Blamey, pub Collins. Comprehensive, excellent

illustrations.
£14.99 but a lot cheaper through Amazon. Or earlier editions second
hand. Or for £2 more you can get the larger sized Wild Flowers of
Britain and Ireland by the same combination of authors in a

different
permutation which also has distribution maps - very handy to aid
identification if you're looking at a whole page of white crucifers,

for
example ;-)

As usual, your advice is appreciated. However, I inadvertently lied
in my previous post. I have 7 books on wild flowers. The seventh one
is in fact Fitter & Fitter. It was lying, all forgotten, in the car,
where it is most usually needed. And in fact it does have no fewer
than 8 species of Hawksbeard. {:-(

It seems a sad fact of flower spotting that whatever you're looking

at
is always the one and only common species on the page ;-)

Unfortunately that is almost always true

As a small ot remark: That Helxine you so kindly let me have last
year is thriving and expanding gratifyingly.

Franz