Old 21-05-2004, 07:02 AM
Snooze

Default Kitchen waste compost and rodents/rats

"William Asher" wrote in message
om...
I live in Royal Oak, Michigan, a close-in suburb of Detroit. Recently
a handful of rats were detected in a one-mile square area in the north
end of my city. The city fathers (and mothers) were rightly
concerned, and took action. One of the actions was to ban composting
of all kitchen waste, because it was considered an attractant to
rodents.

If outdoor composts was the source of all rodent problems, the solution
would have been implemented a few thousand years ago. Some species of rats
and mice have learned how to live off the food we store at home, warehouses,
farms, or simply off the food we spill, and have been doing so ever since
the first caveman called a cave home.

Ever consider how many thousands of insects and rodents can live off just
the food spilled and thrown away in the parking lot of a fast food
restaurant?

They should ban bird feeders, birds spill tons of food on the ground. Ban
picnic tables, people spill food or leave food waste in the trashcan. Those
two sources feed more rats then the handful of composted bins.

Sameer