Old 21-05-2004, 08:11 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default acer platanoides and Rootenone; sunburst locust and blue spruce

Wed, 19 May 2004 23:25:46 -0700 Father Haskell wrote:

Archimedes Plutonium wrote:

I remove about 50% of the leaves on a stem for a "cutting". I am guessing that
the leaves signal the bottom of the stem "hey, throw out some roots so that I
can remain alive."

Snip the remaining leaves in half. This reduces transpiration, helping to
keep the slips from dessicating. You're using a humidity tent?

At the soil end, you're wounding the stem by clipping the leaves at point
of insertion. This initiates regeneration, the first step toward rooting.

It would be interesting research to find out the optimal percent of leaves left
on a stem of a cutting in order for successful rooting. I would guess that
between 50% to 67% is the optimal range of leaves kept on in order for
successful rooting. And the science behind it would be that the leaves signal
the cambium layer to thrust out roots. And 100% leaves left on is unable to
keep those leaves and so the die back is such a drain on energy and even
signalling energy that the whole stem dies.

Leave enough to feed the slips until they root. I believe the roots
signal themselves to grow. Rooting compounds work by triggering growth of
stem cells, which, as we all know, can convert into any other sort of cell.
Those stem cells in an area favorable to root growth turn into, well, roots.

Last night I got a new batch of cuttings and now have about 20 cuttings each of
Sunburst honeylocust, Crimson King acer platanoides and shiner blue spruce for
a total of 60 cuttings. I would be happy with a 10% success rate. I think the
biggest problem is fungal growth in the moist and damp soil conditions.

Hunt down a jar of Olivia's Cloning Gel, and your success rate will approach
100%. Makes Rootone F look like baby powder. Of the last 3 dozen cuttings
treated with Olivia's (and watered initially with a kelp solution, misted
twice daily thereafter), I think I've had four fail. In all successful
cases, slips with thick, strong root masses were ready for transplant in
under three weeks.

Can't find the Olivia's, improve your odds by taking more slips.

I am not sure about your claim of stem cell induction. Even so, if granted true,
then there may or must exist a chemical in which animal stem cells can be produced.

Also, from a theoretical angle of the question as to whether the plant kingdom
existed a long time before the animal kingdom came into existence, or, as to my
belief based on QM of biology that the animal and plant kingdom came into existence
roughly at the same time would indicate that the cloning of plants and the cloning
of animals would be different as per those scenarios. If the animal kingdom evolved
out of the plant kingdom then the cloning of animals should be an impossibility. But
if the animal kingdom was independently created apart from the plant kingdom and not
evolved, then the cloning of plants and the cloning of animals should exist in both
kingdoms with some parity even though the cloning of animals is more difficult. If
Darwin Evolution were correct that animals evolved from plants with its huge lapse
and gap in time, then it would be impossible or near impossible to ever clone
animals but evidence shows us amphibians clonable. So the issue of cloning divides
the question of Evolution versus QM duality of the two kingdoms.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.archimedesplutonium.com
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies