Old 21-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Paul D.Smith

Default Pruning parsley?

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Paul
D.Smith writes
Kay,

I've not intentionally done any top/bottom posting :-(. I simply read a
message using OE 6.0 and then hit "reply" if I want to respond to the

post.

I think that may be your problem ;-)
I'm told that OE automatically puts the cursor at the top and thereby
encourages top posting.

For my own education, please define "top" and "bottom" posting. I've

seen
lots of discussions (OK, flame wars or rants) regarding this subject but

not
come across a simple definition. For example, if I see the following
hierarchy displayed - who posted "bottom" and who "top"?

Hello - Fred
Hello - Jim
Hello - Bob
Hello - Audrey
Hello - Julie
Hello - Nigel
Hello - Paul
Hello - Zee

Well, that looks to me as if everyone bottom posted.
But that is when you see a hierarchy of post titles. The problem with
top and bottom posting is when you come to read the post itself. With
top posting, the new post appears at the top, and the one it is
responding to appears underneath.

With bottom posting, or as someone here phrased it rather better, in-
line posting, what you see is first, enough of the original post to
remind you what the point is, then the response from the new poster. If
there are answers to several different points, then the respondent
answers each directly below the relevant point. So you have a sequence
of point 1, answer1, point 2 answer 2 ... rather as I have done here.

When someone top posts in a group where bottom/in-line posting is the
norm, you get a right pig's ear - as here, where below (left unsnipped
for demonstration) you will find your original question followed by my
answer.

Thanks/sorry,
Paul DS

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Paul
D.Smith writes
Thanks Nick,

One further question, since only the leaves are used, is there a way

ensure a compact, bushy plant, albeit one that seeds and dies? I had

always
expected herbs to be somewhat low lying wheras this seems to be making

bid
to be architectural!

It is low lying - it's only the flowering stems which push skywards.
Grow it fresh each year, and get rid of the old plants once they stop
flowering.

by the way - bottom posting is the convention in this group. Please
don't top post as it muddles the threads.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

I think I see. So this is a bottom post, right? Main problem I see is that
with a top post, I know where the most recent, and therefore useful,
information is - at the top of the mail. With bottom posting, the start of
the most recent information is at some unknown point up from the end of the
mail. Oh, and for all I know, the responder has inserted responses too,
since that sometimes makes sense.

Note that I'm not trying to start a flame war here - this is just my initial
thoughts on bottom/top posting. I've been sent some more information
regarding this which I'll read to get the "feel" for why this upsets so many
people ;-).

Thanks for the info,
Paul DS.

Paul DS.