Old 21-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Frogleg

Default Growing, pinching, cropping tomatoes outside

On Thu, 20 May 2004 18:21:26 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

According to various books you should pinch out after the nth truss (often
the 4th) and the plant will crop from June to September, and produce 3-4lbs
of fruit.

Hmmm.....

The question of whether to pinch/prune tomato plants goes on and on.
This combines (in the US) with 'cage or stake' discussions. The
prune/stake contingent maintain their methods give better control and
bigger, 'though fewer, fruit. And of course, no single method is
"best" for small bush types as well as regular determinate and
indeterminate plants. Pruning is confined (here) to pinching off the
'suckers' that grow in the V of larger branches, not to topping the
plant. I find these small shoots useful 'round mid-season when they
can be removed, rooted, and produce tomatoes of their own if the
weather remains mild.

How large is a GroBag? I'm imagining something about 3' long by 18"
wide by 6-8" thick. I don't see how 3 plants could be grown with that
size base, but if it's the GroBag norm, it must be possible.

IMO, whatever works for you (or for me) is the correct method. Enjoy!