Old 21-05-2004, 12:03 PM
BigWallop

Default Pond pump speed control

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Is is possible to use a speed controller (like a light dimmer) with a small
pond pump?

I have a Bermuda 3000 (3000l/hr) submersible pump that's really a bit more
powerful than I need. The motor has a solid rotor that appears to be made
of a ferrite like material.

I know that speed controllers can cause overheating problems with some
motors but given that it's underwater with water bathing the rotor, I don't
imagine this would be a problem in this case.

Tim

Unless you want to boil the water. It is simpler to install a restriction washer to
the outlet spout I would think. If the diameter of the spout is, say, 10 mm full
bore. Then placing a washer with a hole size of 5 mm should greatly reduce the output
from the spout.

Is the fancy head removable ? If it is, then put a small rubber washer with a smaller
hole on top before you put the head back on.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com