Old 21-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Ian Stirling

Default Pond pump speed control

In uk.d-i-y Benign Vanilla wrote:

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Is is possible to use a speed controller (like a light dimmer) with a

small
pond pump?

I have a Bermuda 3000 (3000l/hr) submersible pump that's really a bit more
powerful than I need. The motor has a solid rotor that appears to be made
of a ferrite like material.

I know that speed controllers can cause overheating problems with some
motors but given that it's underwater with water bathing the rotor, I

don't
imagine this would be a problem in this case.

I'd suggest the following...

1. Get a new smaller pump, and sell this one on eBay. Your electric bill
will thank you.

Pumps may use less than sticker ratings.
I have several 600W submersible pumps, that are (IIRC) 3000l/sec, from
lidl.
I stuck a meter on them, and they come out at around 360W.