Old 21-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Shoot Tip Moths on Pine

This is always my fear when I send people to Cooperative Extension; that when they get there, Extension will say "Beats the heck out of me!".

This is probably the Nantucket pine tip moth, although if it isn't, then the egg-laying information will, of course, be wrong. In New York, there are 2 generations of moths, laying eggs in May and late July. So figure a few weeks earlier for Maryland.

Cheesecloth is too heavy, and too water-absorbant; it might be a bad idea. I buy "bridal" netting at the fabric store. That's what I'm using for the cicadas, and I've always used it for pine tip moths. You'll have to arrange the netting so the tips are
protected- maybe use a few stakes to hold the netting a few inches above the tips. Otherwise the moths are perfectly capable of laying eggs through the netting.

Today's cicada news: they are flapping their feeble wings and flying a few feet. There is an eerie whine in every direction.