Old 21-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Rez

Default Rhubarb

In article , Jan Flora wrote:
In article et,
(Rez) wrote:
Anyone know of a good variety that will do okay in desert heat? Given
a choice, I like the thick red kind best (no idea of names).

Here's a good rhubarb article:
http://www.plantea.com/rhubarb.htm

Cool, thanks.

If your desert gets good and cold in the winter (high desert), you could
probably grow rhubarb. It seems to favor having a "real" winter.

We routinely get hard freezes, with a couple months of 20-25F every
night and up to 50-60F days, but it can reach -10F here, and
sometimes there'll be several weeks where it doesn't break freezing.
There are apple and cherry orchards just a few miles west of me (temps
about the same, but they have better soil with more constant
moisture), so we must get enough cold for them.

On the far end, summer tops out at 117F.

In Montana, rhubarb always seemed to like the east side of the house
best, where it got only morning sun. So I expect I'd want to give it
partial shade here, so it doesn't get, um, pre-cooked.

~REZ~