Old 21-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Rez

Default Tomato plants...HELP !!!

In article fc.003d094101c66c053b9aca000c97a438.1c66c41@pmug. org, (Glenna Rose) wrote:
Overwatering (tomato plants do not like wet feet, best to water them every
few days and not keep them continually wet, I soak once a week or so and
leave them alone the rest of the time)

What I do here, is use the hard flow from the hose to "dig a tunnel"
(actually several, from different directions) down under the tomato's
roots, so it gets watered 1 to 2 feet down as well as soaking on the
surface. This helps them survive the occasional "omighod I forgot to
water the garden for a week" that is enough to wilt them otherwise,
here in the desert. Also, it encourages big deep roots, good for
holding them in place against our strong winds. (We don't even notice
the "breeze" til it's 40mph or so

I start the holes about a foot away from the plant, and aim for a
point about 2 feet down directly under the plant (about a 30 degree
angle).

We have very sandy soil (well, call it what it is -- plain sand!)
which drains like a sieve; you probably would not want to do this if
your soil is heavy or clay.

~REZ~