Old 21-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Grandpa

Default Tomato plants...HELP !!!

Rez wrote:

In article fc.003d094101c66c053b9aca000c97a438.1c66c41@pmug. org, (Glenna Rose) wrote:

Overwatering (tomato plants do not like wet feet, best to water them every
few days and not keep them continually wet, I soak once a week or so and
leave them alone the rest of the time)

What I do here, is use the hard flow from the hose to "dig a tunnel"
(actually several, from different directions) down under the tomato's
roots, so it gets watered 1 to 2 feet down as well as soaking on the
surface. This helps them survive the occasional "omighod I forgot to
water the garden for a week" that is enough to wilt them otherwise,
here in the desert.

Funny thing about that. I'm in Albuquerque and tried the plastic 1 gal
milk containers buried to their neck in the ground and with a lot of
holes punched in the bottom, then water by filling them. I did it for
the first time last year. The tomato plants didn't develop worth a hoot
so I'm back to regular watering this year, and the plants are thriving.