Old 21-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default lily beetles - what eats them ? And summer bulbs.

On Fri, 21 May 2004 11:42:20 +0100, Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan
Rat wrote:

Also - my fella bought me lots and lots of bulbs for my birthday last year
(October) and we planted them all in the garden (a nice way to spend your
birthday ). All the spring ones have come up ... but as yet nothing
at all ... is showing of the
summer ones...

A good many of the "summer" bulbs are fairly tender affairs.
Ixia, babiana, clidanthus, sprekelia, and leucocoryne are
examples.

As for lily beetles, I think it was Brian Mathew who recommended
hiring the young sprats in the neighborhood and paying them a
small sum per beetle captured, subject to a deduction for
trampling or otherwise damaging the lilies.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada