Old 22-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Nedra

Default Shareholders Spawn

Hi Guys ... Gonna jump in here. I have no plants in my koi
pond (they ate them!) But boy-oh-boy did they ever spawn!
Had the foam and the odor too. I haven't seen any signs of fry
so I suspect they ate those too!

Nedra

"Bonnie" wrote in message
Benign Vanilla wrote:
"RichToyBox" wrote in message

The eggs are hard to seee unless you really look for them. An easier

way

tell is the pond will be covered with white foam, and there will be a
decidedly different aroma downwind of the pond. Watch for ammonia,

those
eggs are very high protein food. The ammonia in my system goes down
quickly, but the nitrites stay high for a week or two.

snip

I noticed some foam here and there, but never a complete coverage, nor

an
aroma. Of course, I currently have the stream running, and a smaller

pump
agitating the water to help cut down on that "pollen haze" of still

water.
So it's possible I knocked the foam out. As for the aroma, I live in

breezy
area...sort of a small valley, so I guess it's possible the stink was

wafted
away.

I definately have hundreds of fry in the pond right now. So far ammonia

is
0.

BV.

I didn't notice the odor this year (we had a constant
breeze) but the foam was almost like a bubble bath in the
lower pond.

--
Bonnie
NJ