Old 22-05-2004, 02:06 AM
NOOK

Default Vanda feeding

I growem from flask and startem on the soaking in fert routine once
they are about 18 months old.(50-75 ppm) Before then I just mist them
with a very week fert solution twice a week The young adults (2ys and
up) all get dunked into vats of 100-275 ppm (depending on size, look,
and growth) solution for an hour or more on Monday mornings.The rest
of the week they get RO water every morning and misted just slightly
(the misting lines come on for a few seconds and just dampen the
leaves and roots) throughout the day up to about 3 pm
I just got a tub of the MSU fert from Ray and have started them on it.
We shall see if they like it better. After two soakings it is still to
early to tell any diff.
It probably is just me but I like the new stuff better, it has a finer
grain and dissolves quicker and more completely, acording to my
uncalibrated eye.
"whatch out were the huskies go"
NANOOK

On Wed, 19 May 2004 14:57:23 GMT, bb wrote:

I often hear about vandas being heavy feeders. I typically water and
fertilize my orchids on Sunday mornings while the rest of the house is
sleeping in. During most of the year I also spay down the vadas in
the morning.

How often do people fertilize their vandas? The heavy feeders thing
would make me think they maybe need to be fed more often than the rest
of my non-vanda brood.

I'm on the west coast of central Florida, if that makes a difference.

Any input or opinions appreciated.

bb