Old 22-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Pruning a japanese maple

TreeBay wrote:

Hi Patrick,

snip

I have seen the caution concerning leaving part of the petiole but
haven't seen the reasoning. Maybe Jim Lewis knows? I can see it might
help avoid trauma or delay the re-foliation by a week or two, but to
tell you the truth, I have cut leaves and I have stripped them, but I
have never really seen any significant difference. Of course, I could
be overlooking the obvious!

Regards,

Matt

Matt:
I'm not an expert, but the reasoning as I've understood it is to protect the bud at
the base of the leaf. I've actually damaged buds by simply removing a leaf, petiole
and all.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37