Old 22-05-2004, 03:10 PM
VivienB

Default lily beetles - what eats them ? And summer bulbs.

I wrote:
Don't wait 'til they are larvae - if you see trails of tiny bright
orange eggs, demolish them then. Much less yucky!

On Fri, 21 May 2004 20:25:14 +0100, Lazarus Cooke
wrote:
Thanks. I didn't know this. I found two raspberry leaves covered with
tiny orange dots = couldn't work out if it was eggs or some sort of
fungus. could that have been them?

(I destroyed the leaves, just in case)

I didn't know about the lily beetle eggs until my neighbour showed me
a few days ago! She has lots more lilies and lots more lily beetles
than I have.

I can't imagine that lily beetles would lay eggs on rasberry leaves,
but maybe they do if they can't find anything else. Also, I would
expect fungi to attach themselves more firmly than insect eggs, which
just smear off.

Regards, VivienB