Old 22-05-2004, 04:09 PM

Default upgrading to 4wpg, how often for trace nutrient fertilzation?

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote in message news:B_yrc.6638$SQ2.1282@edtnps89...
I'm upgrading from 2.7wpg to 4wpg in the next few days. I want my ludwigias
and rotalas redder and ambulia more bushy...plus I plan on getting some nice
micro sword.

Here are the issues (prefferably if Tom Barr can respond to these ):

(15 gallon wide aquarium / 25-30ppm CO2 ) I'm dosing about .6ml of trace
elements (TMG) every morning. I stopped dosing nitrate since levels are a
little high for now (fish getting bigger etc.). Once a week after water
changes I dose 2.5ml of K2SO4 for potassium.

Should I increase the amount of trace elements for the daily doses when I go
to 4wpg? Also should I be dosing K2SO4 twice a week in half portions instead
of one full portion after a 50% water change?

Thanx for your help!!

Dave Picklyk.

I suggest you look at some of the AGA tanks of year's past, the best
looking Red's I've seen used less, not more light.

More light does not = redder colors.
Good nutrient supply and lower NO3 will. The best way to do that: less
light.
That will give more stability and wiggle room if the NO3 gets too
low(stunted plants) or too high (plants turn greener).
Sure, you can strike a balance at higher light also, but it's more
difficult, not easier.

There is no plant I know of that would need more than 2 to 2.5w/gal to
look nice.

If NO3 is too high etc and you are not adding KNO3 you likely have too
many fish for achieving your goals with plants. Even with higher
light, the plants will remain green. Bushy plants can be achieved
through slower growth and good trimming. No trick, just work.

Red color is more a factor of low N without bottoming out than high
light.
I've had very red plants in non CO2 tanks.

Regards,
Tom Barr