Old 22-05-2004, 05:03 PM
DaveH

Default need to prune tomato plant?

I think tomato pruning is very uncritical, especially if the plants
are vigorous.

Removal of suckers is a good rule of thumb, but sometimes my caged
plants get so dense that I have to remove entire major branches.

Tomatoes will sustain radical pruning. Not necessarily recommended,
but indicative of tomatoes toughness.
DaveH

On 17 May 2004 16:45:37 -0700, (Frank) wrote:

Hello,

It is my first year to grow tomato. It is beefsteak and I plant one in
a 20" planter. I used "Whiteney Farm" organic all purpose plant food.
I read that using organic fertilizer I don't have to worry about
overfertilize because it is regulated by the microbes or sth machnism
like that. I bought a tomato cage from HD which has 4 rings and 3
stalks. Now, the tomato plant grows to almost the tallest ring but I
haven't got any flower not saying fruit. I'm wondering whether I
should prune the plant, ie cut some tips? When, where and how? My
plant may only get 4 hours afternoon sun. It is the best I can do with
my location. How bad will this affect the flowering and production?

Really anxious. Some tomato plants on HD shelf start to bear green
tomatos. I guess their living condition may not be as good as my
tomato. It is much crowded there and the plant is much shorter. Though
the finding is encouraging, it also makes me wonder whether I miss sth
in growing my tomato.

Thanks for your advice!

Frank