Old 23-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Frogleg

Default Easy Ways to Keep Grass Green and Healthy

On Fri, 21 May 2004 16:24:48 -0400, "Toni from T.O."
wrote:

"gelda " wrote in message ...

"gary davis" wrote

I wonder how lawns were kept green before the advent of chemical
fertilizers? Any ideas? Anyone?

Sheep shit.

They fertilize AND they cut the grass too!

As I understand it, "lawns" were originally cultivated as a status
symbol to indicate someone was rich enough to use productive
agricultural land for useless display. Native grasses don't need a lot
(or even a little) extra fertilizer to flourish. "Mowing" would be be
done either by farm tools or allowing animals to forage.