Old 23-05-2004, 07:07 AM
Babberney

Default sick tree?

On Fri, 21 May 2004 23:48:02 -0400, "k conover"
wrote:

Hi, I have an 80+ year old oak tree in my yard. Last year had Arborguard
come out and they told me it had a beetle infestation and that the cost to
treat it would be in the thousands. Needless to say, did not treat.
Haven't noticed anything all winter, but now I notice ants crawling around
the base of the tree and into the bark (maybe the beetles are coming!)
Does anyone know of a good way (preferable non-toxic to my cats) way to
help my tree out, maybe support it with more nutrition and also keeps the
bugs out? Do you think it will kill the tree? Thanks--
Kirsten

The best thing you can do to promote general tree health is to mulch.
Use wood chips, pine bark, or any organic material that suits you
aesthetically. Apply it in a layer 3 inches deep all around the
trunk. Do not heap mulch against the base of the tree; you should be
able to see the root flares where they enter the soil. Cover as wide
an area as you are willing. I'd say minimum 6 feet from trunk, but
for a tree as large as yours you might even go farther.

Mulch reduces competition from grass and weeds, thus eliminating
injury from string trimmers. It blankets the soil so temperature
spikes are less severe. It retains moisture. As it decays, it
releases nutrients into the soil and loosens compaction, thereby
reviving the soil ecosystem and making roots happy. Happy roots make
happy trees. Happy trees are better able to resist attack from
disease or pests.

Good luck,

keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.