Old 23-05-2004, 07:19 AM
J Fortuna

Default Joanna........

I just found a Polish orchid Web page that mentions this plant, but instead
of Cattleya warscewiczii, it refers to it as "Katleja warszewicza"
(http://www.terrarystyka.pl/rosliny.p...20030223182541) -- so I figure
if Polish sites are allowed to take liberties with the spelling of
"Cattleya", Americans should have every right to pronounce warscewiczii with
"Whiskey" at the end. :-) Does that sound fair?

Joanna

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Diana,

Gary is right, Var-se-VICH-ee-i is probably close enough to the intended
pronounciation of "warscewiczii". Though I would probably pronounce it

"var"
+ "sh" + "e" (as in bed) + "v" + "i" (as in interest) + "ch" + "i" (as in
interest).

Warscewiczii is not exactly a Polish word -- it started out Polish, but

then
somebody must have improvised and changed the spelling. We don't have

double
ii in Polish, and sc is not a common Polish letter combination either.
Warscewiczii is definitely derived from the Polish word "Warszawa" which

is
the Polish word for Warsaw, the capital of Poland. The way to pronounce
"Warszawa" in Polish is "Var" + "sh" + "a" (like the last letter in
Virginia) + "v" + "a" (like the last letter in Virginia)

If you want to know more about Polish pronounciation, here are two links

Polish pronounciation guides on the Web:
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~pop...nunciation.htm
and
http://www.travlang.com/languages/po...e.english.html

I hope you have fun with your "warscewiczii" plant, no matter how you
pronounce it. :-)

Best,
Joanna

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
Var-se-VICH-ee-i is the closest pronounciation I've seen. Hopes this
helps.
Gary

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
news
C. warscewiczii. Okay, girl, tell me how to pronounce this recent

purchase.
I can spell it, I can grow it, and I *think* I can pronounce it, but

how
about a tip from an expert?! Whiskey at the end? Warsh at the

beginning?

Now, if it were Italian or French, no prob. But Polish eludes me at

times!

Diana