Old 23-05-2004, 07:22 AM
Theo

Default [IBC] Pruning a japanese maple

Craig Cowing wrote:

I have seen the caution concerning leaving part of the petiole but
haven't seen the reasoning. Maybe Jim Lewis knows? I can see it might
help avoid trauma or delay the re-foliation by a week or two, but to
tell you the truth, I have cut leaves and I have stripped them, but I
have never really seen any significant difference. Of course, I could
be overlooking the obvious!

it is so
the half stem will wither and fall soon after
tearing might damage the dorment bud in the leave pit
but on zelkovas you can tear as the leave is directly attached to the
branch..
as usual there is an exception

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4

L'Umiltą č la Peggiore delle Presunzioni
(la Rochefocault)