Old 23-05-2004, 08:13 AM
Dave Poole

Default mimosa

On Sat, 22 May 2004 10:15:55 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"

What would be your opinion on the hardiness (or otherwise!) of Acacia
fimbriata? I grow A. retonoides and dealbata OK, but have lost A. baileyana
twice. Is it better to plant out small and protect or grow on till large
then plant?
Acacia fimbriata loves it in the cold greenhouse, the scent is lovely but I
would love the space back!

A. fimbriata is supposed to be quite hardy and about the same as A.
retinodes. That sad, I've only grown it once when I lived in the
Midlands and overwintered most acacias under glass. I find it odd
that A. baileyana fails with you - it is one of the first to flower
here - often opening up a few buds a couple of weeks before Christmas.

Back to fimbriata, I would have said go for it, but then you can't get
baileyana through winters. The best bet is to take a few cuttings in
July (half ripe side shoots with a heel are very easy to root) and
when these have made decent growth, keep them as insurance and plant
your main specimen against a sunny, sheltered wall. It really should
do well in Cornwall, there's no special mystery about it as a species
and in many parts of the world, it is hailed as a 1st class amenity
shrub.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.