Old 23-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Brian

Default Installing new lawn

wrote in message
I just completed building new house in Ohio and is in the process of

having
a lawn installed by a lawn service. Now the lot has a lot of stone in it.
One service said the will bring in a rock hound to work the dirt, put in
60lbs of grass seed and straw for a $1050. The next said they would bring
in a rock hound, rake the dirt after the rock hound, deliver and spread

top
soil, 100 lbs of grass seed, spread biodegradable straw, fertilize the

lawn
for the rest of the year for $3000. The last one said the would bring in

rock hound, rake the dirt after the rock hound, and grass seed and straw

for
$895. Quite a difference in price and what service they will provide.

Can
any one give me some good advice in what to look for in having a good
quality lawn installed? Thank you in advance.

Is turfing not an option? With turf you can not only get an instant lawn
but you can purchase exactly the type of grass needed and see it before
laying. Turf is also able to be placed over stones, that are not too large.
The only criteria is that the base must be level, but then this would be the
same for seed. Turf is also more readily watered without damage and gives a
weed free start, if bought from a reliable source.
Best Wishes Brian