Old 23-05-2004, 01:04 PM
J Fortuna

Default Joanna........

Steve,

So Cattleya warscewiczii's name started with the last name of a Polish
botanist, and then got a latinized ending? Hmm. Ok, in Polish there are many
words that started out Latin, and then got a Polish ending attached to them
to Polanize them, why not do it the other way around for a change?

Joanna

"Steve" wrote in message

J Fortuna wrote:

I just found a Polish orchid Web page that mentions this plant, but

instead
of Cattleya warscewiczii, it refers to it as "Katleja warszewicza"
(http://www.terrarystyka.pl/rosliny.p...20030223182541) -- so I

figure
if Polish sites are allowed to take liberties with the spelling of
"Cattleya", Americans should have every right to pronounce warscewiczii

with
"Whiskey" at the end. :-) Does that sound fair?

Joanna

I don't know if I can go for that. Let me first say that I live in
the middle of nowhere and I go years without any verbal discussion
with other orchid growers. Nearly all of my orchid life is via
reading and writing so I often discover I have been pronouncing (to
myself) a name wrong.
With that disclaimer, it is my understanding that when a name has
been Latinized to end with ii on the end, that part is pronounced
"eee-eye". The ii ending is common so it's good to know what to do
with it. Miltonia endresii , for example would, I assume, be
pronounced "en-dres-ee-eye" or something close. If I am wrong, I
hope someone who speaks fluent orchid Latin will set me straight!

Steve