Old 23-05-2004, 02:02 PM
David Kotschessa

Default Question about Red Worms

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Annaid wrote:

In my search on compost bins, I found retail sites for red worms. Are these
worms really better than earth worms? I am in zone 4, will the survive our
winters?

I appreciate any advice on these worms.

D~

Forgot to answer your question about winters. Mostly because I didn't
have an answer, but this person had some things to say:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...363431621.html

The comment "Those that hung around are definitely the tough ones" makes
me think about an interesting aspect to vermicomposting that I was
thinking about before... The worms that will survive are the ones best
suited to the conditions you give them, so if you allow them to breed over
the years they would more or less adapt, I think... Maybe I am being
too optomistic thinking about breeding a secret race of superworms.