Old 23-05-2004, 04:03 PM
Phisherman

Default When/how to move an established azalea

On Sun, 23 May 2004 13:42:57 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .
There is an established azalea (blooms white) that has grown into a
lace-leaf maple tree. Both are over 10 years old and the tree is 4
feet tall. The azalea has just finished dropping its spent flowers
and I want to move it to another location to give the tree and azalea
more room. The summers here are hot and long, often with a drought in
July. When/how should the azalea be moved to increase chances of
survival? In zone 7, east TN. Thanks.

I'd wait until the tree is dormant. Lace leaf maples ( I assume you mean a
Japanese maple?) are very sensitive to disturbances in their root zone and
that combined with the stress of a possibly hot and dry summer could have a
very negative impact on the tree. The azalea will be much more forgiving and
can be moved easily, but it is not usually recommended to do any significant
transplanting immediately before or during the summer season because of the
effects of transplant shock and the added need for moisture. If you have a
long fall and not terribly severe winters, I'd wait until fall to make the
move.

pam - gardengal

Thanks Pam. I was thinking fall is a much better time. I did
entertain the thought of moving the lace leaf maple tree, but the
azalea transplants with higher success and I'd hate to lose this
beautiful maple tree.