Old 23-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Test post!

[I tried sending this via email, but it bounced.]

Kathie,

Years' worth of archived posts from triangle.gardens (and every other
newsgroup) can be found at Google Groups advanced search website:
http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

BTW, if you like hostas, check out Plant Delights at
http://www.plantdelights.com/.

I don't have much experience with slugs here, since my soil is really sandy
(yes, it is here NE of Raleigh), and I don't think slugs like sand that
much. (I always thought diatomaceous earth went on top of the soil, but
I've never used it.)

As for the voles (field mice), the last post I saw recommended dropping
Rozol down the vole holes. (One veteran poster to triangle.gardens
acknowledged that he just realized moles & voles were different -- he
always thought of voles as field mice. Voles & moles have different habits
entirely.)

I planted parsley in clay pots this year; so far, the voles have not
destroyed it. Last year, the voles killed the parsley before I even had a
chance to cover it with floating row cover to keep the swallowtail
butterflies from laying eggs on it (their caterpillars favor parsley).

You might try googling for vole control also.

Good luck!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Kathie" wrote in message

Annie,

Hi! I am a professional container gardener in Durham, and have just
re-joined the site after switching computers...you know how that goes.

I am a hosta fanatic and begonia lover with an acre of mostly shade
gardens, and would love to chat with other Triangle gardeners. I am a
transplant myself, and arrived in this area three years ago from
Illinois, and enjoy learning more and more about the area, which I
dearly love.

What are your gardining interests? Any hints on slug/vole control? I
have over 64 varieties of hostas, and cringe at the thought of digging
them all up to surround them with diatomaceous earth and permatil...

Thanks for answering!

Kathie

Anne Lurie wrote:
*Just a test post -- I have not seen anything new here for a few
days.

Anne *

--
Kathie