Old 23-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Bob Hobden

Default 'Palm Tree' ID & help please!

"Jay" wrote in message
I have a lovely 'palm tree' in the front garden. It was pretty neglected

up
until recently, but now I removed the 'dead' leave from the bottom, as the
thing grows.

Here are some pictures... if someone can please identify the plant/tree,

and
tell me howe I should look after it, and how high I can expect it to grow,

would be very appreciative.

It's a Cabbage Palm also known as the Cornish Palm but actually isn't a true
Palm at all, it's real name is Cordyline australis.
One of the largest ones I've ever seen is just down the road from here and
it's just two storey house high and has a canopy about 12ft around, looks
magnificent. My own ones are about 15ft tall and only just branching out
after flowering for the first time a few years ago..

Just pull off the dead leaves and cut off the flower/seed panicle when you
get them when it goes brown and after the birds have eaten all the seeds.
Otherwise leave it to do it's own thing.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....