Old 23-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Ka30P

Default Cicadas are emerging

I remember one year we had a ton of grasshoppers hatch out. And preying mantis
seem to be abundant also.
I had a couple of habitats set up on the kitchen table for preying mantis and
frogs that the neighborhood kids brought me. (There was a method to this I'm
sure thought out by their parents ;-)
I would send forth a posse of boys to catch grasshoppers and we'd feed them to
the preying mantis and frogs.
I'll always remember Ricky (out of college now) turning to me, all thrilled, as
he fed a grasshopper to a preying mantis, and telling me,
"Mrs. P, Mrs. P, you've got to see this, it's sucking its guts out!!!"
Kind of a catch phrase around here now.

kathy :-)