Old 24-05-2004, 12:03 AM
The Watcher

Default Oak Trees

On 23 May 2004 10:38:34 -0700, (JNY) wrote:

I've been growing some Oak trees in pots for about 3 years now. They
are doing rather well, but the time has come (I believe) for me to
transplant them to a more permanent home. I'm not the greatest
gardener in the world, so I don't have a great deal of experience in
this matter. I don't want them to die due to my mishandling, as it
has taken some effort to get them to the stage they are at presently.

Is this the right time of year?

Since they've been in pots any time of the year should be ok.

Is there anything I should know before proceeding?

Make sure the taproot has plenty of room and make the hole big enough to spread
the roots out, making sure none of them wrap around the root ball.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Yes, I've been trying to grow some oaks from acorns for a few years and finally
had some germinate last year. Oaks don't like being moved, so make sure you want
them where you put them.

Are they old enough / too old?

Should be no problem as long as they're still alive.
(snip)