Old 24-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Vox Humana

Default Hosta's in planters

"Judas" wrote in message
link.net...
I recently was given some hosta's as a gift. I have the following

varities,
Blue Vision, Sum & Substance, Stilleto, Great Expectations, and tokudama
Flavocircinalis. All are in still in the 3 inch pots they were shipped in.
Any input on which are suited to planters would be appreciated.

Mike Pratt

Sum & Substance is a gigantic hosta that grows fast. I got a couple three
years ago that are now a good four feet in diameter.

Great Expectations is a sport of Elegans. It is also a large hosta, but it
a slow grower. I have some that are about six years old which now about 30
inches high and wide. I would work in a container for a few years.

I don't have the others, but you can get a lot of information, including
pictures he
http://www.hostalibrary.org/index.html

One good thing about hostas is that you can divide them frequently if they
get too big. I have some that grow so fast that I divide them every year or
two. The down-side of frequent division is that they don't reach their
mature form, which can be quite different than immature plants.