Old 24-05-2004, 01:05 AM
Vox Humana

Default Lily of the Valley

"Misstiblu" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 May 2004 22:45:27 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

wrote in message
What is your opinion of Lily of the Valley? A local garden center said

it
was recommended that they not sell them as they are so invasive.

It isn't invasive in my garden. Of course the solution to having too

much
is to give some away. Mine is in the last days of blooming. I am
developing a small woodland garden and I transplanted some there last

year.
This year the fragrance of the lily of the valley wafting in the spring

air
made working there a real pleasure. I say try it and if you are lucky to
eventually have more than you need, someone here will be glad to take the
excess.

When the blooming is complete....do the greens stay for the remainder
of the season??

I have some coming up now (Zone 3) and I just planted it at the end of
the season last year - it was given to me. I know nothing about this
plant - but...it survived and is poking up now :-)

It depends on where you plant it. If it is in moist soil in part to full
shade, it can stick around all summer. If it is a dry, sunny spot, it can
be ephemeral. Mine bloomed weeks ago and is still looking good.