Old 24-05-2004, 02:05 AM
Gail Futoran

Default rose of split personality?

"Maggie's Mom" wrote in
message news:tT9sc.100134$536.18185832@attbi_s03...
OK, so it IS a sucker.... it blooms something gorgeous,

though. Does not
smell at all, or at least not that I can detect.
Why a "sucker"?
What would happen if I just left it alone on Mr Lincoln?

Would it kill the
rose? Alter it somehow? Has anybody had a first hand

experience with a
"sucker"?

Shame it is not a mutation... (

Sorry I can't find your earlier post so I may
be off base here about the conditions you're
describing.

Canes that grow from *below* the bud union
are growing from the rootstock - often Dr.
Huey (red blooms in spring, little/no scent).
The rootstock will take over Mr. Lincoln
and kill Mr. Lincoln. It's called "reversion".

I lost several roses that way before I realized
what was happening.

Some people prefer "own root" roses since
reversion can't happen, but not all roses do
well as own roots. I have both types (grafted
and own root) and can't assert that one
necessarily does better than the other. Other
rosarians might have different experiences.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8