Old 24-05-2004, 04:04 AM
Anton Nijhuis

Default [IBC] tent caterpillars

Bacillus thuringiensis var. Kurstaki is what is effective on
lepidopterous species, caterpillars. Good coverage of the leaves is
essential since the insect must ingest for insecticidal action. There is
a major invasion in British Columbia right now, entire alder forests
along the coast have been completely defoliated and the caterpillars are
on the march by the millions, roadways are covered with splattered
caterpillars. It is so bad you cannot see the bark on any deciduous tree
for the caterpillars as well as being defoliated. I am employed at our
local golf club and I have used 1500 gallons of BTK (5 grams per 15
liters of water) and just managing to hold our own, the aesthetics are
important to visitors to the club but otherwise the trees leaf back.
Another annoying problem is that they are starting to cocoon and are
spinning sacks in almost anything that is off of the ground.

Anton

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++