Old 24-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Jay

Default 'Palm Tree' ID & help please!

:-)

Thanks Bob.

It may sound a daft question, but is there any way to stop it branching?

At the moments it's just about a safe distance from the house, but I'm
worried that if it branches out, it may go towards the house. The person
who planted it (ie the former houseowner) pplanted at a little too close I
think...

Cheers again

Jay
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Jay" wrote in message ...

I've no idea how old this one is, but I've lived here for 5 and a half
years, and I think it was only a foot or so tall when I bought the

house.

I'm a bit worried about it growing TOO tall!

Regarding the flower/seed panicle -

(a) It it possible to take the seeds and plant them?

and

(b) Is there any chance I will damage the tree if I cut the panicle now?

Do
they keep appearing?

Many thanks, and thanks for excusing my ignorance. I have so much to

learn!

Well I don't think they ever get too tall, say 20ft after a long time,

which
is not a tall tree. However if it does get too tall for you then you can

cut
it down cut the stem into a couple of lengths, plant them, and you will

then
get suckers/offshoots developing which you can use as cuttings.
Yes it is possible to take the seeds, if you beat the birds to them, sow
them in April and keep them warm 60°F min.
If it's last years flower panicle then by all means cut it off now, I did
mine months ago. If it's this years then it's probably only just starting

flower and if you cut it off that's it for this season.
Incidentally it's only after they start to flower that they start to

branch.

We all have to learn and never stop doing so.i.e I saw my first thumbnail
sized Rose Chafer yesterday in an Iris flower of mine, what a stunningly
beautiful insect.

--
Regards
Bob