Old 24-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Brian Anderson

Default sod care

gorf wrote:

First, any tips for maintaining a decent look for the parts of the lot that
will already have sod? I wish I knew what type but I won't (it's probably
the cheapest available knowing the builder). I'm concerned that starting
this late in the year might be detrimental to the grass if we have anything
other than a mild winter.

The sod should be able to establish itself before winter. It
will go dormant during the winter, but in September and
October you'll have to water the heck out of it. Fresh sod
should be watered every day or it will burn off in the sun.
Some amount of browning is normal, and your lawn probably
won't look too great all winter long, but come spring, it
should come back.

They're probably laying Raleigh St. Augutine sod. It's the
most common type, and it's also a water hog. At The Grass
Patch a pallet of St. Augustine will run you $95 plus $35
delivery if you need it delivered. (Two or more pallets pay
only the one delivery charge.)