Old 24-05-2004, 10:06 AM
Tasslehoff

Default Several DIY Yeast CO2 System questions.

Everyone has their own recipes they swear by but I use 1.5 cups sugar, 2/5
tsp wine yeast, ~7 cups warm water ~39C, 1/2 tsp baking soda, lasts me a
month easily. If reusing yeast I'd change the water, sugar, b.s after 3
weeks but I haven't tried that (yeast always mixes in with solution when
trying to empty the bottle). I let mine aerate for at least 12 hours before
hooking it up as my mixes always take longer to start for some reason than
other peoples.

"Dances With Ferrets" wrote in message
om...
For any who may be familiar with the 2-liter-soda-bottle method of CO2
production... using baking soda as a buffering/stabilizing
compound... Could someone tell me what the optimum mix of water,
yeast, and baking soda would be using this method? (in case it makes
a difference in the formula, the yeast culture in this case is an
ethanol-resistant strain commonly used in wine-making). Also, how
often would one recommend refreshing the solution in the bottled
culture? Or would it be best to discard the culture and start a new
one? If discarding, how far in advance should the new culture be
started to supply a consistent amount of CO2?