Old 24-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Dave Poole

Default mimosa

On Sat, 22 May 2004 22:27:45 +0100, Jeff Taylor
wrote:

I've had a seed-grown A.pravissima in the garden up here in NE England
for 4 years now (Chitlerns Seeds recommends it as the best one to try
outdoors in the UK).
It never seems to suffer in winter and is about 5 ft high now (not
flowered yet though)

A pravissima is one of the toughest of species and can often be
persuaded to grow in seemingly hostile conditions. However, it cannot
be relied upon to flower in the far north because light intensity is
low. It depends upon location and the plant. Always worth trying
though and if it performs, its a bit of a show-stopper.
....And On Sun, 23 May 2004 21:10:34 +0100, "arran"
wrote:

The tree I have is a Armata, has been out in a pot all winter, is very
healthy, lush, but no flowers. It is supposed to flower all summer. I am
on an Island,West Coast Scotland.

The moderating effects of the Gulf Stream are probably sufficient to
help it through the winter. Acacia armata is hardy in the far south
and along some western coasts, but is not reliable inland. As to
flowering, its performance relates to the intensity and amount of
sunlight in the previous year. The more lush the growth, the great
the risk of more of the same with few if any flowers. I would
certainly restrain it in a pot and don't be too eager to apply
nitrogen rich feeds. A few doses of tomato fertiliser as growth is
maturing (July - September) should help it along.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November