Old 24-05-2004, 11:06 AM
George

Default dying fish-need help please

"ray hucek" wrote in message
Rich,
Thanks for the link. I'll see if they can help me. I need some help. I
lost 6 today.
Ray

I feel for you. I can understand your concern and frustration. If you are
losing that many that quick, it might be a good idea to take one of the dead
ones to a vet or a reputable pet shop right away and have them look at it to see
if they can see any signs of infection or parasites. If you are losing that
many that quickly, it sounds like something particiularly virulent, that is, if
it is not an environmental problem. Any red spots or red streaks on them? How
about white spots or fuzzy patches? Are the scales swollen? How do their fins
looks? Are they rubbing against rocks? This is how I knew that my catfish had
a problem last fall. These are all signs of parasites and/or bacterial
infections. See my earlier posts.

Finally, I know this sounds strange, but I had a problem with my salt water tank
several years back that I would never have suspected. My fish were apparently
sick, and were darting about. One even tried to jump out of the tank. The
problem was that the tank was not properly grounded, and the fish were being
shocked. Believe it or not. This is a particular problem with salt water tanks,
and not usually freshwater. Nevertheless, it is just one more thing you should
check for. Check you electrical connections, and make sure there are no
abraided wires, and that the pump(s) and/or any other electrical gadgets is/are
properly grounded. A ground fault interupter is always a good thing to install
on your electrical supply for an outdoor water environment. It will also keep
you and your family safe.

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Go to http://www.koitulsa.org/pages/800287/index.htm and see if any of

their
members are koi health advisors or if they have any trained health hotline
people that can do a microscopic evaluation. I suspect that it is
parasites, but I like to taylor the treatment to the particular parasite,
not the shotgun approach. Some of the treatments can be harmful/stressful
to the fish, and not affect the parasites, while some other treatment

will
take care of the parasite with minimum damage to the fish.
--
RichToyBox