Old 24-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Victoria Clare

Default OT honey bees in roof

lid (Rodger Whitlock) wrote in
:

It is my understanding that having a honeybee
hive in one's walls is a fairly serious matter. Sooner or later
the hive will die out and you are left with a mass of wax and
honey which will itself eventually decay and cause an incredible
mess inside the wall. And this is a semi-fluid mess which can
soak through plaster, flow down into lower levels, and so on. No
trifling matter.

We had one in a chimney, which was gassed. Solid stone walls and chimney
breasts supporting them, so no way to get the hive out (bottom of that flue
was blocked up.)

We just left it in the 15 years later, still no problems. If it was
inside a wall next to plasterboard or something I imagine it would be more
problematic though.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill