Old 24-05-2004, 03:10 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Solar Lighting

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , David W.E. Roberts
writes
The destructions say that you need a full 8 hours of direct sunlight to
fully charge the 'AA' NiCds (doesn't say how many and I haven't taken one
appart) and that prolonged exposure to frost will damage them.

Eeek! Mine don't say anything about frost!! Is this universal, do you
think? Am I going to have to dig mine up and bring them inside for the
winter? I don't do that for plants, I'm damned if I'm going to do that
for lights!
--

It may just be corporate butt covering.

However these ones are cheap plastic on ground spikes so they are easy to
lift for the winter (and also not that robust).

Solar stuff in general should stay out in all weathers as long as it is well
engineered.

The problem may be the cheap plastic casings which perhaps will trap water,
freeze, then split.

For that price, they can take part in a field (lawn) trial.

Cheers
Dave R