Old 24-05-2004, 05:05 PM
David Ross

Default Oak Trees

figaro wrote:

I have read that most nursery people cut the taproot from oaks when planting
to encourage a more fibrous root system. I don't know if I agree with this
or not but I would assume the taproot is only important in areas with low
rainfall or very windy areas?

Pruning the taproot of an oak is necessary only if you are planting
a species native to dry-summer climates in a garden that will
receive water all summer long, either in a climate with summer
rains or in a garden that is regularly irrigated.

I have also read that planting in the fall is best, especially in my neck of
the woods because summer drought and heat can be stressful on a newly
planted tree. In the fall, the tree would have time to put out new roots
and settle in before cold weather and would have a head start for spring.
However, I have also read that plants in pots can be planted at any time; I
guess it just depends on your climate. Since you have more than one, maybe
you could experiment. Good luck.

This is true except in areas with the most severe winter freezing.
The prime time to plant any tree or shrub is when the soil is still
warm but the air is cool. In my area, that is late October and
early November.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean