Old 24-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Dave Poole

Default 'Palm Tree' ID & help please!

On Mon, 24 May 2004 19:32:07 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

Dave are there clones which do not set fruit/seed mine never has although it
flowers ever year. Or am I just treating it badly!

Charlie,
There must be very many variants and it would not surprise me that at
least a few might be non fruiters. If it flowers, there should be no
reason for it not setting fruit - unless the flowers are imperfect or
self-sterile.

I've seen at least 5 different flowering types/ styles:

Brilliant creamy, almost yellow- white, comparatively large flowers,
very dense upright flower spikes.

Bright white, medium sized flowers on very large, pendulous spikes.

Translucent white small flowers on dense reddish tinged upright or
semi-pendulous spikes.

As above but with fully pendulous spikes.

White flowers on very sparse reddish spikes.

Leaves can be between 1.5 cms. and 10 cms. across and vary between the
familiar floppy dishmop-look to being half normal length and stiffly
upright. Leaf colour varies from brilliant green through to dull
grey-green and at least one or two show some orange tones in the leaf
midribs a la Cordyline indivisa mode. As mentioned before, berries
are usually white, but I know of at least one very broad leaved plant
with poor flowers but superb berries that colour deep lilac, ageing
slowly through to white.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.