Old 24-05-2004, 11:03 PM
belly

Default Watermelons not working out

On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:02:55 -0700 in
utssc.22344$PU5.8283@fed1read06, "Rich"
graced the world with this
thought:

zone 13, Phoenix AZ and planted on March 11th... at this point (74 days) the
vines are just 2' long at most, there are blooms on the vines but no fruit.
They get watered twice a week and get direct sunlight from morning to 4PM. I
would expect them to be ripe by 90 days.. What do you think? I still have
time to plant something else there if they aren't going to work out. This is
the second year I've been trying to get them to grow.

I'm thinking that when they give you an estimation of time until ready
to go, they figured you wouldn't plant them in Feb/March, regardless
of the zone. The photoperiod is still pretty damn short back then, I'm
not surprised they didn't get very big yet. My guess would be, if
they're healthy, and you leave them in, they'll go berserk because
they've got such a strong foothold. Just a guess, don't hold me to
that.
What happened last year?