Old 24-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Rich

Default Watermelons not working out

"belly" wrote in message
nk.net...
On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:02:55 -0700 in
utssc.22344$PU5.8283@fed1read06, "Rich"
graced the world with this
thought:

zone 13, Phoenix AZ and planted on March 11th... at this point (74 days)

the
vines are just 2' long at most, there are blooms on the vines but no

fruit.
They get watered twice a week and get direct sunlight from morning to

4PM. I
would expect them to be ripe by 90 days.. What do you think? I still have
time to plant something else there if they aren't going to work out. This

is
the second year I've been trying to get them to grow.

I'm thinking that when they give you an estimation of time until ready
to go, they figured you wouldn't plant them in Feb/March, regardless
of the zone. The photoperiod is still pretty damn short back then, I'm
not surprised they didn't get very big yet. My guess would be, if
they're healthy, and you leave them in, they'll go berserk because
they've got such a strong foothold. Just a guess, don't hold me to
that.
What happened last year?

Last year I planted too late... they grew from to October and the vines were
8' long.. they looked healthy as could be but *no* fruit at all. Same thing
is going on this year but I planted on time.

When I planted on 3/11:
Daylength: 11:49 hours
Max. height angle was 52:49 degr at noon time 04:42
Declination of Sun: -3:28 degr
Sun altitude -53:12 degr, azimuth 320:26 degr (UTC 14:56)
Solar power 956 W/m2 at noon
Date: Thursday on 2004-03-11, the 71. day of the year
Location: input, latitude 33:43, longitude 112:02

Today (74th day):
Daylength: 14:07 hours
Max. height angle is 77:21 degr at noon time 04:29
Declination of Sun: 21:04 degr
Sun altitude -29:57 degr, azimuth 27:59 degr (UTC 14:57)
Solar power 1200 W/m2 at noon
Date: Monday on 2004-05-24, the 145. day of the year
Location: input, latitude 33:43, longitude 112:02