Old 24-05-2004, 11:16 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Hawk's beard

"Chris" wrote in message
news:5Ibsc.321$MU2.156@newsfe4-gui...

"Franz Heymann"

:
: I've done a recount. I still make it 8, to wit, the following are

in
: the index:
: Beaked
: Bristly
: French
: Marsh
: Northern
: Rough
: Smooth
: Stinking
: If you look them up in the body of the book, there are actually

more
: than 8 listed. Only 8 appear to have common names.
: And to be honest, I haven't found "Smooth" named as such except in

the
: appendic of common names.
:

I've just done a check and it appears I have made a blunder, looking

at the
illustrations again I now have only 3 "Hawksbeard", thats the;
Smooth
Beaked
Marsh

I got them mixed up with and included the "Hawkweed" species which

are,
Orange
Leafy
Mouse Ear
Alpine.

I have also found a "Rough Hawkbit" species.

Looking at the index gives me the same info, I must have gone

crosseyed and
counted everything that began with hawk, what book are you using?, I

need to
get a more comprehensive guide.

Wild Flowers of Britain and Northern Europe by Richard & Alastair
Fitter, Illustrated by Marjorie Blamey, published by Collins.
It is a must if you are interested in wild flowers.

Franz