Old 25-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Ka30P

Default Pond

Ian wrote Thanks Kathy, I'll change the water ASAP. Is it worth chucking
some "
treatment " in the new water or should I wait and see?

Since it is fairly small, and reading the other posts, I'd go with changing out
the water and cleaning, if there is sludge on the bottom. Shouldn't be too much
since you put it in last summer.
You can build a filter around your pump that will act as a bio filter.
Some garden centers sell rigid black mesh water plant baskets, or alternately
you can use any slotted black (makes it less visible) basket.
I use black vinyl window screening and wad it around the pump, loosely, then
place it in the basket and set it up off the bottom of the pond, on a brick.
The screening allows for the growth of benefical bacteria which works to
convert fishy ammonia waste.
The important thing is to make so you can yank it up (attach something for
handles), hose it off and dump it back in the pond for ease of maintenance and
better for your back.

kathy :-)