Old 25-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Janet Baraclough..

Default OT honey bees in roof

The message

In article . 10,
Victoria Clare writes:

lid (Rodger Whitlock) wrote in
| :
|
| It is my understanding that having a honeybee
| hive in one's walls is a fairly serious matter. Sooner or later
| the hive will die out and you are left with a mass of wax and
| honey which will itself eventually decay and cause an incredible
| mess inside the wall. And this is a semi-fluid mess which can
| soak through plaster, flow down into lower levels, and so on. No
| trifling matter.

We had no problem, either. The honey and (still more) wax will
NOT decay into a semi-fluid mess unless there are ALSO damp
problems. If kept reasonably dry, both will keep indefinitely
(though they will crystallise and oxidise somewhat).

I have to agree with Rodger. We had bees set up a nest in the loft
above a plasterboard ceiling. Mice found out first; we didn't notice
until honey from the raided comb came through the ceiling :-(

Never did quite get rid of that ceiling stain...and as for honey in the
loft insulation...yuck...

Janet.